If your father figure is anything like mine, you know that this species is a difficult one to solve when it comes to giving gifts. Anything that my dad wants, he’s already gone out in the wild and hunted down for himself. Beyond that, if your situation mirrors mine, you simply can’t afford to take your dad to The Masters, The Super Bowl, or hell, even The Scotties™ Tournament of Hearts. Sigh. Those athletic curlers…sliding around…sweeping and all…one can only dream!
For all offspring who share my plight (are we THAT rare?), this blog is for you. The one thing that you can do for the person you call “dad” that always delivers is to prepare the perfect steak dinner.
With wine, of course.
Our Certified Drunken Sommelier™ Steven Lane has laid out some simple recipes with corresponding wine pairings to help you craft that experience that your old man will never forget. The best thing about it is that you don’t have to spend a ton of money. Actually, Steven is convinced that if you wanted to, you could knock this meal for two out of the park for less than $30, give or take a few bones, WITH a bottle of wine. Don’t believe him? Just watch!
Make sure you order the wines to your door or dad’s well in advance at www.tagdelivery.ca - there’s nothing worse than a great meal without a great glass to go along!
What We’re Cooking:
We’re doing a fabulous twist on a Steak Dinner with Caesar Salad & Grilled Garlic Bread that will put any steakhouse that may or may not rhyme with “The Peg” to shame. There are a couple easy tricks at play here that will make dad wonder if you secretly attended culinary school, and if he in fact, paid for it. Follow along with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQz8shFE-o&t=3s
What You’ll Need:
• If money is no object, be ballsy and go for the Orin Swift Abstract red blend with its dense and exceptional flavours of deep, dark black fruit, vanilla, integrated oak, and dark chocolate. Great dads deserve the best.
• If you’re dining al fresco and don’t want a red that will make your old man (they call them that for a reason) fall over before you’re finished cooking, choose the perennial great value Cono Sur Organic Pinot Noir. Fresh cherry flavours, a touch of bright herbaceousness, delicate spice and depth, this wine over-delivers for under $20 and can be slightly chilled. It will balance both the lean steak and salad beautifully. That $30 all-in dinner for two thing we mentioned? This is the wine for you!
• If Big Poppa is calling out for white, go with the Meiomi Chardonnay. Round, rich, buttery, and tropical, Meiomi Chardonnay has the clout and the structure to stand up to steak dinner without issue, and will keep you cool and refreshed while you’re sweating it out in front of the BBQ and need a pick-me-up.
• You'll need a functioning BBQ.
For the Flank Steak:
• 1 Flank Steak (10-12oz; serves 2)
For the Garlic Bread:
• 1 French Baguette
• 1 Large Clove of Garlic
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the Caesar Salad:
• 1 Heart of Romaine Lettuce
• 1 Egg Yolk
• Dijon Mustard
• Tabasco Sauce
• Worcestershire Sauce
• 1 Large Clove of Garlic
• Extra Virgin Olive Oil
• Vinegar - Apple Cider, Red Wine or White Wine
1. Drizzle a little olive oil on your steak and season generously with salt & pepper. Set aside at room temperature.
2. In a small mixing bowl, begin to build your Caesar Salad dressing by separating an egg yolk from the egg white.
Place the egg yolk in the mixing bowl.
3. Add to the mixing bowl the following in no particular order:
• Finely diced clove of garlic
• Tabasco sauce (6-7 drops)
• Worcestershire sauce (4-5 drops)
• Dijon mustard (half a teaspoon or so)
• 2-4 Tablespoons of olive oil (for thicker dressing, add less, for more runny, add
• 2-4 Tablespoons of vinegar (for thicker dressing, add less, for more runny, add
4. Whisk the salad dressing ingredients together and add a dash of sea salt and some freshly ground pepper.
5. Cut your French baguette into 2-4 diagonal slices.
6. Roughly dice 1 clove of garlic and place in a small bowl. Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
7. Drizzle the baguette slices on either side with olive oil.
8. Take the garlic from the small bowl and rub it into each side of your baguette slices. Drizzle the rest of the oil onto the baguette.
9. Cut the Heart of Romaine lettuce in half, lengthwise.
10. Drizzle the Heart of Romaine lettuce with olive oil.
11. Heat up your BBQ to high.
12. Once heated, cook your flank steak for 2 minutes a side, ensuring that good grill marks are formed.
13. Remove the flank steak and let rest on a cutting board or plate at room temperature for 10 minutes.
14. While the steak is resting, grill your garlic baguette slices. Keep a close eye until nice grill marks are formed and remove as necessary.
15. After the baguettes are grilled, quickly grill your Romaine lettuce halves for about 30 seconds a side until very slightly charred.
16. Cut your flank steak at a 90 degree angle across the grain of the muscle. This will ensure tenderness.
17. Add your Caesar dressing to the grilled Romaine hearts.
18. Season flank steak and Caesar salad with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
19. Add garlic toast to plate and serve family style.
20. Open more wine and enjoy.
Wishing all fathers and father figures around the world the happiest of Father's Days from us at www.tagdelivery.ca!